About State Steel
Over 80 years ago, Sam Bernstein moved from Brooklyn, New York, to Brooklyn, Iowa. With a desire for a better life and an entrepreneurial spirit, he then began a scrap business. In 1940, Sam wanted to expand his business and move to a larger city, so with his wife and children Jack, Norm and Elaine he moved to Sioux City, Iowa. He then bought land along the rail property where State Steel is still located today.
As the scrap business grew, Sam began getting good material out of the scrap and so he began selling it to ﬁll the needs of customers needing those materials. As customer needs grew, Sam began buying new material from steel mills to ﬁll in the material oﬀering to his customers. He then put up a warehouse at 3rd and Court streets and started to stock raw product, angle, rounds and bars.
Jack came back to run Steel Supply Company. A few years later, State Steel put in its ﬁrst coil line to de-coil and process sheets. State Steel then began expanding and opened a branch in Grand Island, Neb., Sioux Falls, S.D., Des Moines, Iowa, Spencer, Iowa, and Omaha/Millard, Neb.
State Steel continued to expand, installing our ﬁrst lasers in the early 1990’s. Since that time, State Steel has added stainless steel and aluminum material, tube laser cutting and a wide array of other products to our offerings. As we evolve into other markets we adapt to the needs of our customers.